Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Higher Power of Lucky By: Susan Patron



Age Level: 6th Grade and Above
 Rating: 5/5

I absolutely loved "The Higher Power of Lucky" especially the main character Lucky Trimble who warmed my heart and inspired me. I loved how Susan Patron was able to capture her ten year old language while still incorporating her mental diary as she moved past each experience. The conceptual way that Lucky reflects on her life and rather eccentric family is both heartbreaking and endearing. Through her constant growing maturity she is finding meaning and order in the hardships and chaotic events that seem to find their way into Lucky's life. I really enjoy how Lucky manages to uniquely fit into a town with a population of only 43. Lucky, who seems to be becoming more and more similar to her idol Charles Darwin, acknowledges every minuscule detail that impacts her life. The external forces that she absorbs are both emotional and spiritual and only help her to pay these connections with her environment forward in a positive way. I think that Lucky's personality alone would be enough reason to discuss this book in a classroom. However, I think that many controversial issues arise from this story that teachers should not shy away from. In general my view of controversial books is a positive one and I think that teachers who "play it safe" when it comes to controversy are doing their students an injustice. America's youth is the future of our society and if they understand these concepts before the influence of society draws their opinions for them, it is a possibility that they can grow to become more accepting and understanding individuals and leave judgment at the door. I want my classroom to establish a safe and accepting environment, and I never want my students to shy away from potentially uncomfortable questions. This book would be a good way to establish an organized and directed group discussion that addresses these questions in a way that is formal and professional to ensure that no one's opinions or ideas are unaccepted or laughed at. Informing students about these ideas will help guide them to create their own opinions, but still learn the quality and importance of acceptance of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment