Monday, October 25, 2010

I Love to Blog!

"Feathers" By: Jacqueline Woodson

Rating: 4/5
Grade Level: 5th Grade and above

I enjoyed reading the novel "Feathers". I love how Woodson incorporated controversial and relative issues into something as simple as a 6th grade classroom. When "Jesus- Boy", the only white student in an urban African American public school, arrives in Mrs. Johnson's sixth grade classroom he causes our narrator Frannie to search for hope in the religious overcast that he brings into her life. I think that this concept of hope would be meaningful to discuss in the context of the classroom. By asking my students where they look to to find hope we can indirectly address religion in a way that won't pressure students to give a specific answer. I also think this book helps demonstrate that individuals do not necessarily have to be religious to have a connection to something or something that will bring comfort in a time of struggle. I also think it would be interesting to address how it may be different being the only white student in an African American school in comparison to being the only African American student in an all white school. I think that by making these comparisons in a discussion setting students of different races and cultures will better understand one another and hopefully be able to put themselves in a new perspective and circumstance that perhaps they did not appreciate in the past. I also loved the references that this book made to deaf culture. Being an American Sign Language student myself I have learned so much about this community that I didn't really knew existed. I would love to incorporate deaf culture into my classroom and hopefully allow students to understand something that may not have been introduced to them in the past. There is an extraordinary gap between the hearing and the deaf community and if I can guide my students to understand a difference as extreme as being able to hear and being completely deaf than maybe they will be able to apply the daily struggle that deaf individuals have to other races and heritages that they may not have realized. I hope that by educating my students on the hardships that others have gone through it will hopefully lead them to becoming more accepting and patient individuals.

"The Giver" By: Lois Lowry

Rating: 4/5
Grade Level: 6th Grade and above

I think that "The Giver" addressed a lot of interesting concepts that I think would be beneficial to be introduced into a classroom. This book portrays a surreal society that many would consider "ideal"; the world that Jonas lives in is one without divorce, poverty, unemployment, inequality or injustice. Good manners and family values are core morals that this society revolves around. When Jonas is declared the position of "Receiver of Memory" he begins to realize the secrets that are embedded within the "perfection" of this society. I think that the concept of "sameness" that is exhibited throughout this novel is a very interesting one and would serve great benefit in the classroom. When Jonas realizes that he has inherited knowledge that removes him from the ignorance that the rest of the community exists in, he is perplexed with the decision to leave the community knowing that outside of this sheltered society is knowledge, color, music and love. I think it would be interesting to ask my students if they could be truly happy living in this society, and living in ignorance of the potential possibilities. I would then have them compare how they would feel being put in Jonas's position and how their perspectives would change once they were made aware of these new possibilities. I also think that the concept of "sameness" can be used to discuss individuality and if stereotypes and discrimination would really be nonexistent if we did all look the same. I think it is important to address the concepts of individuality and how it relates to difference in culture, race, heritage, etc. Hopefully, this will allow students to understand and accept one another in the classroom environment. While I cannot guarantee that this open minded status that I'm trying to portray in my students will be expressed outside of the classroom; I can however, enforce the ideas of acceptance and self expression in the classroom. I do not want my students to ever feel intimidated or insecure about expressing themselves uniquely in our environment for fear of ridicule or not being accepted. That is why I think "The Giver" would be a spectacular addition to any classroom. 

"The Worm Family" By: Tony Johnston 

Rating: 4/5
Grade Level: 2nd Grade and above
Illustrations By: Stacy Innerst

I really enjoyed reading "The Worm Family". This book is about a family of worms who is moving to a new place to live. They are proud to be worms however, not all of their new neighbors are accepting of their pride and some even throw things at them until they are forced to leave. Soon they decide they are going to stop running from unfriendly neighbors and show the world how glorious worm can be. I think that many students can relate to the message that is portrayed in this story. The worms think that they are glorious to just be themselves and even though their neighbors do not accept them for who they are. I think that the message of embracing yourself even when others do not accept you is important for elementary aged students to understand since at this age teasing and bullying becomes much more common in the classroom. I also think that the transformation the worms make as a family is inspiring when they finally stop running and embrace their individuality even at the risk of not being accepted in their new town. Also the worm family meets a new family that is unique in their own way and both families embrace each others differences and form a bond with one another. I would definitely use this book in my classroom in order to demonstrate uniqueness and acceptance of others. The transition the worms made will teach students the importance of confidence and believing in their own abilities no matter what others may think. I also really enjoy the illustrations and the literary language used in the story. The repetition of the worm's song will allow students to recognize the words and also get excited about the literature itself.

1 comment:

  1. The Worm Family seems like a great book to talk about diversity and acceptance! I will definitely look to this book as a resource for my future classroom.

    ReplyDelete