Tuesday, September 28, 2010

"Click, Clack, Moo Cows That Type" By: Doreen Cronin

Grade Level: Kindergarden and above
Rating: 3/5
Illustrations: Betsy Lewin

What I really enjoyed about "Click Clack Moo Cows That Type" is the humor that was embedded into the story. The story starts off when the Farmer's cows find an old typewriter in the barn and they begin to make demands regarding their living conditions. When their arrangements are denied the cows decide to go on strike and refuse to produce milk. I think that this book expresses a feeling of empowerment through the use of humor. It teaches students about compromise through both parties since the Farmer agreed to give the cows electric blankets if they returned the typewriter. When I was younger I personally had a fascination with cows and just thinking about if this book was available to me when I was growing up my excitement about literature would have been expanded greatly. I also really enjoyed the illustrations of this book; they really made the story come alive since the characters seemed to jump off the pages. I think the concept of realistic standards are suggested in this book, and it is important for students to understand the difference between respecting themselves and taking advantage of others. The illustrations also suggest what the characters are thinking without the author specifically addressing their opinions, this causes the reader to become emotionally connected to the story and draw their own perspectives and opinions about the text. This will cause students to expand their imagination and think about the plot in a more figurative sense as opposed to what the text is expressing in literal terms. I think that in the classroom this book could serve a purpose of disgussing the concept of respecting others in addition to respecting yourself. Especially at this particular age students are very vulnerable and impressionable, and desperately want to impress their peers. I think this book could help students establish a sense of self when referring to expression of feelings and emotions.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the idea of using this book to talk about respect. That is an important topic especially for younger kids and they might be able to understand it better through a book.

    ReplyDelete