Tuesday, September 14, 2010

"Jumanji" By: Chris Van Allsburg

I really enjoyed reading "Jumanji" By: Chris Van Allsburg. I really enjoyed the illustrations that were exhibited throughout the book; they really demonstrated the boredom of the two siblings. I think that its humorous how Judy and Peter expect the game to be boring. Even the directions state that this game is "designed for the bored and restless" however, Peter still seems skeptical. It isn't until he sees the lion sitting on top of the piano behind him does he decide that the game Jumanji doesn't meet his previous assumptions. I think the fact that the jungle will not go away until the game is completed is suggestive towards readers in relation to everyday problems, and how the only way they will disappear is if you conquer them head on. This book also represents support within the family; even when Peter wanted to quit the game Judy encouraged him to keep going. I also think that the concept of reading directions encourages readers to pay attention to their surroundings so that they are aware of what is occurring in their surrounding environment. I really enjoyed the black and white illustrations and I think it represented the fact that it is up to you as a reader and as an individual to color your own world with excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment